Hemp milk is an incredibly nutritious and tasty alternative to cows milk as it supplies the body with essential nutrients without the harm that dairy causes to the body. For some, it is an ethical choice to not drink animals milk, for others it is an intolerance. Others choose to avoid it for reasons of making healthier choices while others drink it as they want the nutritional benefits and like the taste. Whatever the circumstance, is it possible that we are not making the most healthy choice by drinking animals milk? For those who are looking for an alternative to animals milk, hemp milk is one option you should consider.
What is it Made of?
Hemp milk is a vegan product made of a blend of hemp seeds and water. The mixture provides a creamy texture with a delicious taste some may describe as ‘nutty.’ Unlike cows milk, hemp milk is easy for the body to digest and does not cause any of the health problems associated with milk. See more under the “Factoids” tab below.
- 3-5 Tablespoons Shelled Organic Preferably Hemp Seed
- 3 Cups of Pure Water
- 1 Dash of Himalayan Pink Salt
- 5 – 8 pitted dates (Depending on how sweet you want it!)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla or use 5 drops of organic vanilla from Medicine Flower
- Dash of Saigon Cinnamon
- If Using Ice, I Use 1 Cup of Ice, and then reduce water to 1.5 Cups
You will want to use a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio – 2 or 3 cups of purified water for every 3 tablespoons of Hemp Seeds.
Method: Put all the ingredients and fresh pure water in the Vitamix and start blending at low speed. Quickly accelerate to high speed until all of the seeds are completely pulverized. You can drink this without straining if you like rustic whole mylk. This is the way I drink and use it. It has more calcium if not strained. But blend thoroughly and then strain if desired. Add Ice to keep it cool but Ice is going to turn to water, so keep that in mind.
BLEND ON HIGH FOR 1 Minute
Now you can either DRINK IT, or you can opt to drain your hemp seed milk with aE3Live Nut Milk Bag, cheesecloth, or sieve with the smallest holes. I must say that a nut bag is the going to yield the smoothest results. You can find these easily from health food stores or from raw online stores. Make sure you wash the bag as soon as you are done so you can reuse again and again.
If you would like to drink this mylk on it’s own, I have listed some suggestions for sweetening and enhancing the flavour. Jazz this up with whatever floats your hem seed boat, and you will not be disappointed. Store in a glass jar in the fridge if you are going to keep for later. It will keep for few days in a very cold fridge.
Here are some suggestions:
- 1 tsp alcohol free pure organic vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 of a cup of The Ultimate Sweetener if you are a diabetic if not, please try some grade B Maple syrup, coconut sugar, Yacon Syrup or 3 – 6 pitted dates (this will satisfy your sweet tooth and add to the flavor of you mylk)
- You could add a few drops of natural alcohol-free almond extract/essence ( YUMMY GOOD)
- 3-6 tsp organic maple syrup
- For a Richer, Creamier mylk: you could add 1 Tbsp unrefined coconut butter or raw almond butter and 1 Tbsp non GMO lecithin in addition to your flavorings.
- For Chocolate Hemp Seed Mylk just add in a couple of Tbsp of raw cocoa powder or raw sweet cacao nibs, 1 tsp vanilla extract and Pink Himalayan salt
- For Cinnamon Hemp Seed Mylk – add in 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla and Himalayan sea salt This is the recipe I do at the road shows and home parties.
- For Strawberry Hemp Seed Mylk – add in the desired amount of strawberries with the vanilla and pink salt
E3Live Nut Milk Bags The Best!
- Non-abrasive—silky-soft on your hands
- Doesn’t clog or tear
- Filters better—more milk!
- Use for sprouting or straining
- Heavy duty fabric for long life
- Fine mesh weave stays intact
- Ideal for everyday use
- NEW ITEM – E3Live Nut Milk/Sprouting Bag with Drawstring, for easier hanging when sprouting, drying, and more!
Factoids & Benefits:
Did you know Hemp Seed protein does not contain phytates, enzyme inhibitors found in some soy protein and un-soaked almonds for almond milk, that can interfere with the assimilation of essential minerals.
The same manufacturers maintain that hemp protein is more digestible than soy protein because unlike soy, it contains no oligosaccharides, complex sugars that can cause flatulence if not properly broken down during digestion. Hemp seed milk contains all 10 essential amino acids!
The average glass of hemp milk contains 900 mg of omega-3 fats and 2800mg of omega-6 fats, both of which are considered good fats. What’s more, the 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is in line with what most diet experts consider ideal. Sadly, the ratio of these fats in the average Western diet is something more like 16:1.it is rich in the Vitamin B groups such as: Thiamine – Vit B1, Riboflavin – Vit B2, Niacin – Vit B3, Pyridoxine – Vit B6, Folate – Vit B9
Contains the Omega vital fatty acids 6, 3 and 9, the rare anti-inflammatory Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) & Stearidonic Acid (SDA) and small quantities of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin E. It is a good source of vital Elements such as Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese and Potassium.