Home made fresh raw almond milk is Raw, Live, Creamy, Frothy, Healthy, and has no additives or preservatives like most processed nut milks. It is a little piece of nutty heaven — sweet, mild, and more gentle on the digestive system than heavily processed milks. It is fantastic to drink, put it on cereals, use in smoothies and shakes, and in cakes. I just can’t get enough of it.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_old_tabs tab1=”Ingredients” tab2=”Method?” tab3=”Options” tab4=”Video Tutorial” layout=”horizontal”]
- 1 cup organic raw almonds soaked for overnight and is optional as well if you want to use a nut milk bag in the AM.
- 3 cups of pure gluten free and fat free water (that’s a joke kids, don’t go googling gluten free water!)
- 1 Dash of Himalayan Pink Salt
- 5-8 pitted dates (Depending on how sweet you want it!)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla or (my favorite is non alcohol based Medicine Flower 3 drops only)
- Dash of Cinnamon
You will want to use a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio – 2 or 3 cups of purified water for every cup of raw soaked almonds, depending on your preference.
Place the raw almonds in a glass bowl or large jar, and cover with filtered water and 1 tsp Celtic sea salt for about 12 hours. WHY SOAK ALMONDS? READ MORE then come back.
Rinse the nuts several times to remove any of the anti-nutrients and enzyme inhibitors. If soaking for the full 12 hours, make sure you rinse and soak a few times. Any nuts that float to the top have probably gone rancid, so discard them to be safe. It is not uncommon to have a few floaters. The almonds will have swelled with water and look a lot more plump.
Put almonds and water in your Vitamix and start blending at low speed. Quickly accelerate to high speed until all of the nuts are completely pulverized. You can drink this without straining if you like rustic whole milk. This is the way I drink and use it. It has more calcium if not
strained. But blend thoroughly and then strain if desired. Add Ice to keep it cool but Ice is going to turn to water, so keep that in mind. Strain the mylk with an E3Live Nut Bag or cheesecloth. I must say that a nut bag is the going to give you the creamiest and yummiest results. You can find these easily from health food stores or from raw online stores. Make sure you wash the bag as soon as you are done so you can reuse again and again. To strain: place a nut bag, cheese cloth or even clean knee high hosery over the opening of a glass container, large jar or jug.
Pour small amounts of almond milk into the cloth or nut milk bag /Eco Product Bag and then squeeze it like a cow teet until every last drop is out. Then remove the almond pulp, set aside and keep repeating the process. Make sure you squeeze the cloth to get the last bit of liquid out. This is the creamiest yummiest bit of the milk so don’t miss out on that!
Don’t waste the almond meal. Save it and dehydrate it, and then use the almond meal for other recipes such as smoothies, crusts, cookies, nut butter, breadcrumbs etc
If you would like to drink this milk on it’s own, I have listed some suggestions for sweetening and enhancing the flavour. Jazz this up with whatever floats your almond boat, and you will not be disappointed. Store in a glass jar in the fridge if you are going to keep for later. It will keep for few days in a very cold fridge.
- 1 tsp alcohol free pure organic vanilla extract or 3 drops Medicine Flower my favorite!
- 1/4-1/2 of a cup of The Ultimate Sweetener, or Maple syrup, coconut sugar or 3-6 pitted dates d
- You could add a few drops of natural alcohol-free almond extract/essence Medicine Flower
- 3-6 tsp organic maple syrup
- For a richer, creamier milk: you could add 1 Tbsp unrefined coconut butter or raw almond butter and 1 Tbsp non GM lecithin in addition to your flavourings.
- For Chocolate Almond Milk just add in a couple of Tbsp of raw cocoa powder or raw cacao nibs, 1 tsp vanilla extract and Pink sea salt
- For Cinnamon Almond Milk – add in 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla and Himilayan sea salt This is the recipe I do at the road shows and home parties.
- For Strawberry Almond Milk – add in the desired amount of strawberries with the vanilla and sea salt
[fusion_youtube id=”mQ-5dEnL7QE” width=”600″ height=”350″/]
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire